Our text message program can be used in two ways:
- to receive regular safety tips for specific disaster types, and
- to search for open shelters and open disaster recovery centers.
All FEMA text messages are sent from our dedicated number, which is 43362 (4FEMA). Our text message program is not a substitute for 9-1-1. During an emergency, call your local fire/EMS/police or 9-1-1.
Below is a list of all the disaster specific keywords you can sign up to receive bi-monthly safety tips for:
- Hurricanes: text HURRICANE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Home fires: text FIRE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Wildfires: text WILDFIRE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Tornadoes: text TORNADO to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Earthquakes: text EARTHQUAKE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Winter storms and extreme cold: text WINTER to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Power outages: text BLACKOUT to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Floods: text FLOOD to 43362 (4FEMA)
- General monthly safety tips: text PREPARE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- If subscribing to more than one list, please send a separate text for each disaster type you would like to subscribe to. There is no limit to the number of lists you can subscribe to.
- Sending STOP will automatically unsubscribe you from all our lists. You can re-subscribe to the list(s) of your choice one-by-one.
To search for open shelters: text SHELTER and a Zip Code to 43362 (4FEMA)
For example, if you lived in Washington, DC you would text: SHELTER 20472
Before you go to a shelter, always check with your local emergency management agency for availability & services. Searching for shelters will not add you to a list. Think of it like doing a search on the Internet.
Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC)
To search for open Disaster Recovery Centers, text: DRC and a Zip Code to 43362 (4FEMA)
For example, if you lived in Washington, DC you would text: DRC 20472
Searching for Disaster Recovery Centers will not add you to a list. Think of it like doing a search on the Internet.
You can also use the FEMA text message program to receive a link for the FEMA smartphone app for your specific mobile device. We’ll reply with a link back to your phone’s specific app store.
- Apple devices: text APPLE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Android devices: text ANDROID to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Blackberry devices: text BLACKBERRY to 43362 (4FEMA)
Other Basic Commands
- Unsubscribe (at any time): text STOP to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Get more information: text INFO to 43362 (4FEMA)
- List of all keywords you can subscribe to: text LIST to 43362 (4FEMA)
- For emergencies, call your local fire/EMS/police or 9-1-1.
- FEMA’s text message number is 43362. If you receive a text message from another number and they say they are from FEMA, disregard it and report it to the authorities if you feel it is warranted.
- FEMA will not solicit info, ask for personal information, or ask you to donate money to FEMA.
- If you have any questions about the FEMA text message program, please don't hesitate to email us: email@example.com
- We will never charge you for text messages, but carrier message and data rates may apply. Your carrier may collect additional data elements; please see their privacy policies for further details.
- We will not use your phone number to track, reverse look up, or for any type of commercial marketing.
- Apply now for assistance through DisasterAssistance.gov
- If you experience difficulty applying online, you may also call (800) 621-3362 / TTY (800) 462-7585 to apply.
- Document and materials you need to apply for assistance.
- Tips to recover after a disaster.
- Search for a Disaster Recovery Center to speak with a FEMA representative in person.
- Let your friends/family know you're safe.