Store at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and little or no water. If you must heat food, pack a can of sterno. Select food items that are compact and lightweight. Avoid foods that will make you thirsty. Choose salt-free crackers, whole grain cereals, and canned foods with high liquid content.
*Include a selection of the following foods in your Disaster Supplies Kit:
Note: Be sure to include a manual can opener.
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables
- Canned juices, milk, soup (if powdered, store extra water)
- Staples--sugar, salt, pepper
- High energy foods--peanut butter, jelly, crackers, granola bars, trail mix
- Foods for infants, elderly persons or persons with special dietary needs
- Comfort/stress foods--cookies, hard candy, sweetened cereals, lollipops, instant coffee, tea bags
- Apply Online for FEMA Assistance or Apply/Check your status by phone (800) 621-3362 / TTY (800) 462-7585
- Info you need to file for federal assistance
- Tips to recover after a disaster
- Search for a Disaster Recovery Center to speak with a FEMA representative in person
- Let your friends/family know you're safe